Facial swelling can occur for various reasons – for example, when you drink too much liquid just before sleep, after a loud party with alcohol, due to problems with the kidneys or the heart. There are a lot of methods to solve this problem. They will be discussed later in this article. But first, we’ll figure out other reasons why the face swells in the morning.
My face swells in the morning – what should I do?
Facial Swelling Caused by the Wrong Diet
Nutritionists believe that if a healthy person’s face swells in the morning, the reason is his diet. As a rule, swelling occurs in the people who do not care about their health and do not stick to the principles of healthy eating, or those who periodically violate them due to circumstances. The retention of excess fluid in the tissues increases due to salt consumed with food. If you reduce it in your daily diet, swelling may soon disappear. Moreover, it is not recommended to eat canned foods, sharp and smoked dishes. At the same time, the amount of pure water drunk on a daily basis must be at least two liters.
People who love eating before bedtime or even in the middle of the night notice that their face swells in the morning. One should eat at least 3-4 hours before sleep, and it is advisable not to eat “heavy” food – fatty, fried, animal products, with the exception of low-fat milk and kefir. It is not advised to drink before going to bed, so in the second half of the day, it is desirable to reduce the intake of salt not to feel thirsty.
It is the so-called owls, or people who go to bed late, that often suffer from facial swelling. In youth, a person normally looks fresh enough after a sleepless night, but in adulthood, there appear traces of fatigue or wrong sleeping regimen on the face. Doctors advise going to bed before midnight, preferably not later than 10 pm, so in the morning the face will look and feel rested.
Chronic Facial Swelling
In case of chronic facial swelling in the morning, you should seriously think about the health of internal organs. Swelling often occurs due to abnormalities in the functioning of kidneys or the cardiovascular system. This swelling can be accompanied by a change in color, dyspnea or other unpleasant symptoms, often painful ones. A health check or undergoing a special treatment can be helpful in this case.
Other Facial Swelling Reasons
There are other causes of facial swelling:
- malignant or benign tumors in the face and jaw area;
- infections in the maxillofacial area;
- reaction to blood transfusion;
- high blood pressure;
- fluid retention in the body during pregnancy, especially in the last weeks and during the period of toxicosis;
- the beginning of the menstrual cycle;
- diseases of the genitourinary system;
- immunity failure and lack of vitamins and trace elements;
- the consumption of poor-quality products;
- excessive salt intake;
- an unbalanced diet or starvation;
- lack of sleep, etc.
How to remove facial swelling quickly?
Women very often experience situations where you have to get yourself in order as quickly as possible. Therefore, knowing how to remove facial swelling in just a few minutes will be useful for every girl. To do this, you can use one of the following methods.
This is a very effective method, but you can use it only in extreme cases.
- Dissolve four tablespoons of salt in two liters of rather hot water.
- Soak a terry towel in the resulting solution, wring it out and put it on your face, leaving only the nose open so that you can breathe.
- Cover the compress with a dry towel. Keep it until it cools down.
This procedure should be repeated three times. After that, wash your face and apply a nourishing cream on the skin.
- You will need two bowls – one with cold water (you can add ice for the best result) and the other bowl with rather hot water.
- The towel should be soaked in hot water, wrung out and put on your face. This compress should be kept until it cools.
- Next, soak the towel in cold water and attach it to your face for forty seconds. Repeat the procedure four times.
Are there other ways to remove swelling from the face? You can use ice cubes. This method is suitable for not very pronounced swelling. To eliminate it, one just needs to wipe the face with ice. This can be done by using plain ice made from water, but the best effect is provided by frozen decoctions of plantain or chamomile.
Home remedies to treat facial swelling
- Facial swelling is usually caused by the fact that the body retains fluid, but this problem can be solved with the help of some home remedies. Diuretics are an effective way to remove swelling. Of course, they will not work immediately, but they will help to cope with regular facial swelling.
- Horsetail infusions rose hip or cowberry tea, and a decoction of flax seeds all have a diuretic effect.
- A red, swollen face will quickly get better due to another folk remedy – rosemary water. It not only removes swelling quickly, but also improves metabolism in skin cells, disinfects, and tones. This preparation can be done this way:
- Grind three fresh large branches of rosemary and fill them with a glass of hot water.
- The mixture must stay in the refrigerator for a week. After that, you can use this water.
How to Quickly Reduce Facial Swelling
In the morning, many people discover facial swelling. How can you get rid of swelling in this case? First of all, it is necessary to exclude the possible reasons: namely, to limit fluid intake in the evening and reduce salt intake.
If the swelling is caused by a disease, this problem can be solved effectively only if you take care of your health.
What should you do to remove swelling?
- Peel, wash, and then grind one potato with a blender (you can also use a grater).
- Spread gauze, put the resulting mass on it and attach it to the face. If the swelling is seen on the eyelids as well, you can put potato wedges there.
Green tea mask
Brew tea the usual way. After the drink gets cool, moisten the napkin in it and attach it to the face.
Blend a bunch of parsley in a food processor. If the mass is dry, you can add a little water or yogurt. Apply a parsley mask to your skin and wash it off after about twenty minutes.
Fresh cucumbers (preferably from the refrigerator) are grated on a coarse grater, and the resulting mass is applied to the face. Keep this mask for about 20 minutes. It can be used on the skin around the eyes. This mask also moisturizes the skin and gives it a fresh appearance, which will help with swelling caused by the abuse of alcoholic beverages.
Which kind of treatment to choose?
Choosing the ways that help get rid of swelling directly depends on the cause of fluid retention. In case there is regular and prolonged facial swelling, which is difficult to remove, it is necessary to consult a doctor and check the performance of your internal organs and systems. After a course of treatment and restoration of body functions, the problem disappears.
The ambulance should be called immediately if facial swelling is accompanied by impaired breathing and cough, a feeling of tightness in the throat, itching in the mouth, rash or urticaria, a sudden change in color (blueish, yellow, or pale), reddened eyes, and pain.