“My child does not eat” – this phrase can often be heard from parents. There are children, who do not have problems with appetite, but not all parents are so lucky. So, how can one make a child eat?
- The first thing is to establish and maintain a diet. This will ensure the stable operation of the digestive system, as well as timely and maximal secretion of digestive juices that help the appetite run wild.
- The child should be offered food consistently and safely, in accordance with the diet. Do not get annoyed if the baby refuses to eat. Just take the plate away from the table and wait for the next feeding. Do not get angry if only a part of the meal is eaten. Later, the child will eat a little more. Do not worry if a child misses a few feedings (one to three). All the necessary nutrients are provided from the internal resources of the body – there is a sort of “depot” in the liver, muscles and other organs.
- Eliminate snacking between meals.
- Spend more time outdoors. If you stay in the room for a long time, anoxia will reduce the rate of metabolism and appetite.
- Diversify the child’s diet and be sure to offer new products. Allow your child to choose what to eat, offering a choice of dishes. Monotony leads to the development of diseases, such as anemia, vitamin deficiency, dysfunction of the gastrointestinal tract and others.
- The parents should eat with a big appetite in the child’s presence.
- Make the process of eating funny. For example, soup can be eaten through a straw, and if you wrap a cutlet in a candy wrapper it will turn into a tempting candy. And if the child is offered to participate in the preparation of the dish, he/she will at least want to try it and maybe even eat it.
- Inveigle your child into the process of table setting. The appetite will be better, if the child sees a beautiful tablecloth and crockery or when he/she uses a spoon or a fork independently.
- Do not pay too much attention to the process of feeding. Capricious behavior at the table is often seen in such families. For many moms, the main task is to see that the child eats. The child understands it and turns the process of eating into a one-man show, where the parents are the most interested spectators. The passions subside if you pretend you are not very interested in what is going on. It is better to pay more attention to the child at some other time.
- Go and have lunch at a nearby cafe. It is noticed that kids love eating out rather than at home.
- The child can be seated at a table with the kids, who eat well. Their behavior will prove to be contagious!
Most parents tend to exaggerate the scale of the tragedy. If no one in the family has a good appetite, so why should the child eat a lot? If your son or daughter has always eaten a little – yesterday, a week ago, and even a month ago – and if the child is active, cheerful and developed, you should calm down – his appetite is all right.